Sunday, December 27, 2009

As mentioned before...

In an earlier post I mentioned that these dogs will try to lay on anything that is on the floor. I was cleaning the bathroom and threw the hand towel on the floor to take downstairs to the laundry room. I looked out after scrubbing the tub and found this. I guess it's comfy! Apparently so comfy he didn't even move when I got the camera.

Saturday, December 26, 2009

Skirt + Blouse = brown dress with teal lining

I used a women's knee length skirt out of great woven brown fabric to make this Japanese pattern. I used a contrasting teal top to make the facing pieces. The dress is also completely lined with solid brown muslin that was the lining of the original skirt. I am guessing when I say this is about a size 5.
I love the ruffle detail of the shoulder and the gathered V neck front.

The back has a lovely curved piece with more gathers.

Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Japanese Pattern Eco Chic

I have had this Japanese pattern for a reusable fabric shopping bag for a while now. Yesterday I decided to pull it out and try to figure it out. I think this bag is amazing. Little tricks in the pattern I would have never thought of worked out beautifully. I sewed the bag and matching pouch out of a heavy cotton and used a natural cotton webbing material I had lying around for the binding.
You can see it comfortably fits groceries. It is about the same size as a plastic bag.
No, I did not find granny smith apples in Okinawa. I have a bowl of these artificial apples in my kitchen and when people come to visit they get excited. All we can buy are sweet apples so everyone is wanting something tart. Nothing suitable for baking at our commissary.

After some folding the bag can be stowed in the matching pouch. Japanese brilliance!

Friday, December 4, 2009

Owl Quilt Finished!

After many months (about 10 to be more precise) the quilt is finished. I started this quilt and then would set it aside. I have had it half quilted for about 4 months and over the long Thanksgiving weekend I forced myself to finish it. I was worried it wasn't going to turn out well but you can see that it came out fine. One spin through the washing machine and dryer and the imperfections have almost disappeared. This quilt is 75 x 75". The pattern is made up and I have to give my friend Christa credit for helping me figure out the math.

I was trying to hide my shadow in the early morning sunshine but it didn't work.

The top is quilted in diagonal lines about 1 1/4 in apart. Much more difficult than it appears!

The pieced back.

I found the triangles fabric for a steal out here, I think all 4 yards for Y1000 or about $10.