Saturday, July 11, 2009

Stacked Coins Baby Quilt: WIP

Using the tutorial from The Moda Bakeshop blog I created the coins using up some of my stash. Rather than using charm squares I just cut strips of fabric 2.5" wide and then cut them down to 5" long. I am working on piecing the back this weekend. I love this pattern because it works up quickly but looks so cute. I purposely tried to get out of my "matchy" fabric comfort zone and I am pleased with the results. Reds, pinks, greens and browns look coordinated but not boring. I only had enough white on hand to cut my strips the width of the fabric so I ended up shortening the coin stacks by 2 strips and the quilt worked up to be square. It is still a generous sized baby quilt.

Saturday, July 4, 2009

Sherbert Ruffles

I recently bought a size 8 dress at the thrift shop with thoughts of altering it to fit myself. For some reason the thought of taking it in to get a tailored fit was irritating me so I cut it up and made it into this sweet little outfit. I didn't like the idea of pulling out stitching and moving the bust darts mostly. I sewed this up inspiration from McCall's pattern M5559 http://http//
I base measurements off of the XL which seems to be about 24 months.

I didn't have enough fabric to make a diaper cover out of the same color so I used a very pale yellow that coordinated and then made some ruffles out of the scraps to tie them together. I think I like it better this way.

The bias trim on the leg openings is actually a golden orange color and not as it appears on the screen.